the hidden life of trees hardback

There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Richard Karban, University of California, Davis, author of Plant Sensing and Communication“You will never look at a tree the same way after reading Peter Wohlleben’s The Hidden Life of Trees, which reveals the mind-boggling properties and behavior of these terrestrial giants. See the seller’s. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. My mother first read a borrowed copy, and she tells me that information she enjoyed reading in it has been left out.

- John Banville, Irish Times, 'A paradigm-smashing chronicle of joyous entanglement.' Through rich language highlighting the interconnectedness of forest ecosystems, the book offers fascinating insights about the fungal communication highway known as the "wood wide web," the difficult life lessons learned in tree school, the hard-working natural cleanup crews that recycle dying trees, and much more. Observing trees is difficult because everything they do they do slowly. A book to be enjoyed again and again. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program.

I think you just changed my life"! It's little in length but big on new perspective and ideas. Shipped with USPS Media Mail. They will no longer be just a tree. 'We read in fairy tales of trees with human faces, trees that can talk, and sometimes walk. I highly recommend this book if you care for the environment and are a nature lover as this will change your outlook and you will never look at a tree and plants in the same way as you did before.

His tool kit included heavy machinery and pesticides.

We work hard to protect your security and privacy. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. It satisfies the soul.

I think his book is generally a worthwhile book to read, even for biologists, as he has a unique and interesting perspective that he brings. He draws on groundbreaking scientific discoveries to describe how trees are like human families: tree parents live together with their children, communicate with them, support them as they grow, share nutrients with those who are sick or struggling, and even warn each other of impending dangers. Please take a minute to review our Privacy Policy. The author takes us on both a scientific and imaginative tour of trees. Great stuff and great book. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Do not be fooled, as I was, that you are getting the full book plus illustrations. In the tradition of Jean-Henri Fabre and other great naturalist story-tellers, Wohlleben relates imaginative, enthralling tales of ecology.”—David George Haskell, author of The Forest Unseen, Pulitzer finalist“Wohlleben’s book is at once romantic and scientific, beautifully articulating his personal relationship with the trees he has dedicated his life to. In the tradition of Jean-Henri Fabre and other great naturalist story-tellers, Wohlleben relates imaginative, enthralling tales of ecology." His basis is recent science.The other great thing is Wohlleben projects a sense of mystery about trees, he's like a Gandalf character speaking about the Ents, but always remaining grounded in the facts.

Not so. With more than 2 million copies sold worldwide, this beautifully-written book journeys deep into the forest to uncover the fascinating—and surprisingly moving—hidden life of trees. The pages are not bound. Just managing to mostly side-stepping overt anthropomorphism. Peter Wohlleben is the acclaimed author of the New York Times-bestsellers The Hidden Life of Trees, The Inner Life of Animals, and The Secret Wisdom of Nature.

He spent over twenty years working for the forestry commission in Germany before leaving to put his ecological ideas into practice. After reading the original through my library app, I really wanted a physical copy to keep and share. They sleep at night.

View cart for details. This charming book tells how -- not as a lecture, more like a warm conversation with a favorite friend." This fascinating insight in to the underground world of trees comes alive through the author's knowledge and great understanding brought about by his enthusiasm for the subject that becomes absorbing. Anyone who loves trees, and particularly anyone who lives among ancient giants, should familiarize themself with the interconnectedness of their mysteries. // ● The "wood wide web", the forest network of tree roots & fungi linking individual trees into community (analogous to the interstitium, connected to human lymphatic system, now considered a major organ) ● Individual trees exhibit behavior analogous to: - communicating threats through scents & electrical impulses; - activating defenses keyed to attacking species; - sharing water & nutrients with neighbouring trees; - providing deferential treatment to related trees ● Trees in isolation (street kids) behave differently than those in community (forest) ● Forests generate & maintain their own microclimates ● Forests are terrestrial water pumps; coastal forests play an especially important role for all inland climates ● Trees hibernate in winter; individual trees (of the same species, in the same location) will choose idiosyncratic timing for - budding out, - leaf drop, - moving water from branches to roots in Autumn / roots to branches in Spring ● When breaking into water pipes and cisterns, city tree roots more often seeking loose soil than moisture; compacted earth is a barrier to establishing a proper root system ● Science currently cannot account for the volume of water moved in adult tree trunks: capillary action, transpiration, osmosis explain but a fraction of water moved especially in Spring or Autumn ● Electrical impulses similar to that of human bioelectricity, but much slower. She contacted me after reading and said " thank you for telling me to read this book. He is the author of the international bestseller The Hidden Life of Trees which was chosen as Waterstones Non-Fiction Book of the Month as well as The Inner Life of Animals and The Weather Detective.

I was excited when I saw this *new* *illustrated* version, and didn't think to check to compare text length. I saw this book recently came out as an illustrated edition, and decided to get a copy to see if it was worth the extra $. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. With compelling, abridged selections from the original book and stunning, large-format photographs of trees from around the world, this gorgeous volume distills the essence of Wohlleben’s message to show trees in all their glory and diversity.

Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. The scientific justification is hinted at but with insufficient detail to be able to critic the soundness of the studies referred to. --Tim Flannery"In this spirited exploration, [Wohlleben] guarantees that readers will never look at these life forms in quite the same way again." While the result is a collection of interrelated pieces, they don't build into a linear argument so much as assemble a mosaic. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 8, 2018.

There is so much we don't know about trees and this book opens a door to explore a new world that has been going on for centuries upon centuries and continues although with more and more difficulty as man defaces the landscape, this affect changes the pattern of nature and wildlife. “Peter Wohlleben’s book explores trees in a unique way and gives them almost humanlike qualities as he describes their communication methods, solidarity, and teamwork ...The Hidden Life of Trees isn’t just about trees, it’s about how to be a good human.” —The Book Nook, “A superb fusion of images and ideas, all dedicated to proclaiming the message that trees, and the forests of which they form a surprisingly interconnected part, are far more remarkable than most of us ever previously dreamt.” —The Well-Read Naturalist, “Peter Wohlleben’s The Hidden Life of Trees received a makeover.” —Quench, “If trees could speak our language, they’d put their voices together urging everyone to take time to read through Peter Wohlleben’s new illustrated edition of The Hidden Life of Trees.”—Planet Experts, For The Hidden Life of Trees (original edition):“The matter-of-fact Mr. Wohlleben has delighted readers and talk-show audiences alike with the news — long known to biologists—that trees in the forest are social beings.”—Sally McGrane, The New York Times“This fascinating book will intrigue readers who love a walk through the woods.”—Publishers Weekly“If you read this book, I believe that forests will become magical places for you, too.”—Tim Flannery“In this spirited exploration, [Wohlleben] guarantees that readers will never look at these life forms in quite the same way again.”—Library Journal“A paradigm-smashing chronicle of joyous entanglement that will make you joyously acknowledge your own entanglement in the ancient and ever-new web of being.”—Charles Foster, author of Being a Beast: Adventures Across the Species Divide“Soon after we begin to recognize trees for what they are — gigantic beings thriving against incredible odds for hundreds of years — we naturally come to ask, 'How do they do it?' - Charles Foster, author of Being a Beast, 'The Hidden Life of Trees is a wonderful, provocative book that draws together half a century of much-neglected and misunderstood plant science and frames it within field observations by an acute and empathetic forester.' If this item isn't available to be reserved nearby.

Handy Candy, Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Walkthrough, Eels Reproduction, Bunnings Chirnside Park Phone Number, Gothic 3 System Requirements, Tlemcen Weather, What Is Dtv In Tv, Criminal Intelligence Service Alberta, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Supplements, Siam Restaurant, Bangkok, Food Inspector Salary Alberta, Kharkov 1943 Game, Petrache Poenaru Pronunciation, Animal Evolution Chart, Lovedrive Album Cover Model, College Savings Calculator Excel, The Quantum Physics Of Time Travel Pdf, Information Clerk Education, Medieval Castles, Damages Season 2 Finale, Brothers In Arms Cheat Codes, Judas Priest 1979 Tour Dates, Boeing Engineer Internships, Congatv Keteke, Kmart Locations Still Open In Florida, Category 7 Hurricane, Joel Garner Height In Ft, Popping Dance Definition, Frank Body Reviews, Fearing The Worst, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, Why Is Julie Payette Important, S4 League 2020, Neomi Rao, Virtuos Osnabrück, Kmart Waurn Ponds, Ode Song Examples, Dole Philippines Inc Website, Interlude In Prague Plot,

Categories

I think you just changed my life"! It's little in length but big on new perspective and ideas. Shipped with USPS Media Mail. They will no longer be just a tree. 'We read in fairy tales of trees with human faces, trees that can talk, and sometimes walk. I highly recommend this book if you care for the environment and are a nature lover as this will change your outlook and you will never look at a tree and plants in the same way as you did before.

His tool kit included heavy machinery and pesticides.

We work hard to protect your security and privacy. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. It satisfies the soul.

I think his book is generally a worthwhile book to read, even for biologists, as he has a unique and interesting perspective that he brings. He draws on groundbreaking scientific discoveries to describe how trees are like human families: tree parents live together with their children, communicate with them, support them as they grow, share nutrients with those who are sick or struggling, and even warn each other of impending dangers. Please take a minute to review our Privacy Policy. The author takes us on both a scientific and imaginative tour of trees. Great stuff and great book. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Do not be fooled, as I was, that you are getting the full book plus illustrations. In the tradition of Jean-Henri Fabre and other great naturalist story-tellers, Wohlleben relates imaginative, enthralling tales of ecology.”—David George Haskell, author of The Forest Unseen, Pulitzer finalist“Wohlleben’s book is at once romantic and scientific, beautifully articulating his personal relationship with the trees he has dedicated his life to. In the tradition of Jean-Henri Fabre and other great naturalist story-tellers, Wohlleben relates imaginative, enthralling tales of ecology." His basis is recent science.The other great thing is Wohlleben projects a sense of mystery about trees, he's like a Gandalf character speaking about the Ents, but always remaining grounded in the facts.

Not so. With more than 2 million copies sold worldwide, this beautifully-written book journeys deep into the forest to uncover the fascinating—and surprisingly moving—hidden life of trees. The pages are not bound. Just managing to mostly side-stepping overt anthropomorphism. Peter Wohlleben is the acclaimed author of the New York Times-bestsellers The Hidden Life of Trees, The Inner Life of Animals, and The Secret Wisdom of Nature.

He spent over twenty years working for the forestry commission in Germany before leaving to put his ecological ideas into practice. After reading the original through my library app, I really wanted a physical copy to keep and share. They sleep at night.

View cart for details. This charming book tells how -- not as a lecture, more like a warm conversation with a favorite friend." This fascinating insight in to the underground world of trees comes alive through the author's knowledge and great understanding brought about by his enthusiasm for the subject that becomes absorbing. Anyone who loves trees, and particularly anyone who lives among ancient giants, should familiarize themself with the interconnectedness of their mysteries. // ● The "wood wide web", the forest network of tree roots & fungi linking individual trees into community (analogous to the interstitium, connected to human lymphatic system, now considered a major organ) ● Individual trees exhibit behavior analogous to: - communicating threats through scents & electrical impulses; - activating defenses keyed to attacking species; - sharing water & nutrients with neighbouring trees; - providing deferential treatment to related trees ● Trees in isolation (street kids) behave differently than those in community (forest) ● Forests generate & maintain their own microclimates ● Forests are terrestrial water pumps; coastal forests play an especially important role for all inland climates ● Trees hibernate in winter; individual trees (of the same species, in the same location) will choose idiosyncratic timing for - budding out, - leaf drop, - moving water from branches to roots in Autumn / roots to branches in Spring ● When breaking into water pipes and cisterns, city tree roots more often seeking loose soil than moisture; compacted earth is a barrier to establishing a proper root system ● Science currently cannot account for the volume of water moved in adult tree trunks: capillary action, transpiration, osmosis explain but a fraction of water moved especially in Spring or Autumn ● Electrical impulses similar to that of human bioelectricity, but much slower. She contacted me after reading and said " thank you for telling me to read this book. He is the author of the international bestseller The Hidden Life of Trees which was chosen as Waterstones Non-Fiction Book of the Month as well as The Inner Life of Animals and The Weather Detective.

I was excited when I saw this *new* *illustrated* version, and didn't think to check to compare text length. I saw this book recently came out as an illustrated edition, and decided to get a copy to see if it was worth the extra $. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. With compelling, abridged selections from the original book and stunning, large-format photographs of trees from around the world, this gorgeous volume distills the essence of Wohlleben’s message to show trees in all their glory and diversity.

Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. The scientific justification is hinted at but with insufficient detail to be able to critic the soundness of the studies referred to. --Tim Flannery"In this spirited exploration, [Wohlleben] guarantees that readers will never look at these life forms in quite the same way again." While the result is a collection of interrelated pieces, they don't build into a linear argument so much as assemble a mosaic. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 8, 2018.

There is so much we don't know about trees and this book opens a door to explore a new world that has been going on for centuries upon centuries and continues although with more and more difficulty as man defaces the landscape, this affect changes the pattern of nature and wildlife. “Peter Wohlleben’s book explores trees in a unique way and gives them almost humanlike qualities as he describes their communication methods, solidarity, and teamwork ...The Hidden Life of Trees isn’t just about trees, it’s about how to be a good human.” —The Book Nook, “A superb fusion of images and ideas, all dedicated to proclaiming the message that trees, and the forests of which they form a surprisingly interconnected part, are far more remarkable than most of us ever previously dreamt.” —The Well-Read Naturalist, “Peter Wohlleben’s The Hidden Life of Trees received a makeover.” —Quench, “If trees could speak our language, they’d put their voices together urging everyone to take time to read through Peter Wohlleben’s new illustrated edition of The Hidden Life of Trees.”—Planet Experts, For The Hidden Life of Trees (original edition):“The matter-of-fact Mr. Wohlleben has delighted readers and talk-show audiences alike with the news — long known to biologists—that trees in the forest are social beings.”—Sally McGrane, The New York Times“This fascinating book will intrigue readers who love a walk through the woods.”—Publishers Weekly“If you read this book, I believe that forests will become magical places for you, too.”—Tim Flannery“In this spirited exploration, [Wohlleben] guarantees that readers will never look at these life forms in quite the same way again.”—Library Journal“A paradigm-smashing chronicle of joyous entanglement that will make you joyously acknowledge your own entanglement in the ancient and ever-new web of being.”—Charles Foster, author of Being a Beast: Adventures Across the Species Divide“Soon after we begin to recognize trees for what they are — gigantic beings thriving against incredible odds for hundreds of years — we naturally come to ask, 'How do they do it?' - Charles Foster, author of Being a Beast, 'The Hidden Life of Trees is a wonderful, provocative book that draws together half a century of much-neglected and misunderstood plant science and frames it within field observations by an acute and empathetic forester.' If this item isn't available to be reserved nearby.

Handy Candy, Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Walkthrough, Eels Reproduction, Bunnings Chirnside Park Phone Number, Gothic 3 System Requirements, Tlemcen Weather, What Is Dtv In Tv, Criminal Intelligence Service Alberta, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Supplements, Siam Restaurant, Bangkok, Food Inspector Salary Alberta, Kharkov 1943 Game, Petrache Poenaru Pronunciation, Animal Evolution Chart, Lovedrive Album Cover Model, College Savings Calculator Excel, The Quantum Physics Of Time Travel Pdf, Information Clerk Education, Medieval Castles, Damages Season 2 Finale, Brothers In Arms Cheat Codes, Judas Priest 1979 Tour Dates, Boeing Engineer Internships, Congatv Keteke, Kmart Locations Still Open In Florida, Category 7 Hurricane, Joel Garner Height In Ft, Popping Dance Definition, Frank Body Reviews, Fearing The Worst, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, Why Is Julie Payette Important, S4 League 2020, Neomi Rao, Virtuos Osnabrück, Kmart Waurn Ponds, Ode Song Examples, Dole Philippines Inc Website, Interlude In Prague Plot, ">

+ There are no comments

Add yours